Separation Anxiety In Dogs: What Is It and How To Help?
The most common complaint we hear from many pet parents; their dogs destroy things when left alone. When you return home, you might notice your shoes chewed, urine on the carpet, or complaints from neighbors that your pet is constantly whining and howling. All of these things are signs of separation anxiety in dogs.
What Is Separation Anxiety?
Separation anxiety means your dog is not happy or comfortable when they are left alone at home. Dogs are very social animals and prefer to have human company. Separation anxiety is a real stress on some dogs when left alone for long periods of time. If you leave this condition untreated, it might lead to serious temperament and behavioral problems in your pets.
What Causes Separation Anxiety?
Separation anxiety is common in pets that have undergone a change in ownership and pets that have been abandoned in the past. The family moving to a new home or loss of family member can also trigger separation anxiety. Dogs that are left alone for long hours while you are at work can be the most affected by these symptoms.
Separation Anxiety Symptoms:
- Barking, whining and howling.
- Trying to escape and run away from home.
- Accidents inside the house like urinating and defecating.
- Chewing on furniture, rugs, and shoes.
- Scratching on walls and doors.
How To Help Dogs With Separation Anxiety:
- Provide exercises to your dog before you leave the house. The dog will be tired and he might doze off and not notice that you are away for long.
- Try to change your routine if possible by changing the time of departure.
- Train your pet from puppy stage to tolerate being alone. Spend quality time on crate training and practice by leaving your dogs alone at home for short periods of time, gradually increasing the time you are gone.
- Leave a long lasting treat filled chew toy for your dog. This will keep him occupied until you return.
- Hemp Well Calm Pet oil may help your pet stay calm and relaxed. The oil and chews are easy to administer and recommended for dogs responding to environmental stress factors.
- Leave around familiar scents like your used clothing to make your dog feel comfortable.
We can overcome separation anxiety in pets with time and patience. Never get mad at your dog for destroying or disobeying, instead help them to overcome it and train them properly.
As exciting as it is to have a new puppy at home, it is also important to remember that joint health is just as important as playing, house training and cuddling. You may not be able to find a one-size-fits-all...
There are a few simple things you can do to support your dog's overall dental hygiene even if you are not an expert. We hear you! There are a few simple things you can do to help your dog's teeth...
The American Kennel Club has just given us their 2023 Top 10 list of most popular dog names. Is your dog on their list? Top names for girl dogs: Luna Bella Daisy Lucy Willow Penny Sadie Maggie Rosie Ruby ...